The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia is taking active steps in building institutional capacities for safeguarding its living heritage.11/04/2016
A Jubilee edition Dedicated to the 70th Anniversary of UNESCO18/05/2016
REGIONAL CENTRE FOR THE SAFEGUARDING OF INTANGIBLE CULTURAL HERITAGE IN SOUTH-EASTERN EUROPE UNDER THE AUSPICES OF UNESCO
of 7 Lachezar Stanchev St., in the City of Sofia,
on the authority of a decision by its General Assembly held April 19, 2016,
A SELECTION PROCEDURE FOR EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Regional Centre for the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage in
South-Eastern Europe under the Auspices of UNESCO
І. Regarding the selection procedure
The procedure for selection of Executive Director of the Regional Centre for the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage in South-Eastern Europe under the Auspices of UNESCO (the Centre) is hereby announced by the Executive Board on the basis of a decision adopted by the General Assembly of the Centre, whereby it delegated the relevant powers to the Executive Board. The procedure is to be conducted in accordance with the Rules on the Selection of Executive Director of the Centre adopted by the General Assembly, which constitute an integral part (Appendix 3) of the Internal Regulations of the Centre.
ІІ. Description of the functions of the Executive Director
The Executive Director will carry out the day-to-day management of the Centre in fulfilment of its programme and will be responsible for the entire administrative and financial affairs of the Centre. He/she will execute the decisions of the General Assembly and the Executive Board and will contribute to the attainment of the goals of the Centre, in pursuance of the Agreement between the Government of the Republic Bulgaria and the United Nations Education, Science and Culture Organisation (UNESCO), ratified by law and promulgated in State Gazette, No. 27, dated March 27, 2013, of the current Bulgarian legislation and the Statutes of the Centre.
III. Principal duties of the Executive Director
The Executive Director of the Centre shall have the authority to:
- Organise the implementation of decisions of the management bodies of the Centre;
- Manage and be held responsible for the performance of the officers and experts of the Secretariat of the Centre;
- Be responsible for the execution of the budget and report on that matter to the management bodies of the Centre;
- Prepare the annual draft budget and work plan of the Centre and submit them to the Executive Board for its approval and further submission to the General Assembly;
- Prepare the annual activities reports of the Centre;
- Perform other tasks as assigned to him/her by the management bodies of the Centre.
ІV. Employment status
The employment status of the Executive Director vis-a-vis the Centre shall have the following key elements:
- Commitment: full time;
- Form of contract: management contract or employment contract.
V. Minimum eligibility requirements
The minimum eligibility requirements for the position are as follows:
- Applicants must be Bulgarian nationals;
- They must not have been effectively convicted of a premeditated crime of a general nature; must not have been barred from practicing their profession or from holding a position of accountability;
- They must not have been dismissed on disciplinary grounds from a previous position, unless such penalty has been struck off their personnel file or cancelled as unlawful in accordance with an established procedure;
- They must hold a master’s degree;
- They must have professional experience in a managerial position;
- They must have managerial skills and familiarity with the spheres of operation of the Centre;
- They must have spoken and written command of the English language. Working knowledge of one or more of the other UNESCO official languages is a plus;
- Very good computer skills: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet, etc.;
- Very good organisational and communication skills.
An advantage will be given to candidates with proven track record in the field of the intangible cultural heritage, the operation of UNESCO; in culture, international cultural cooperation, NGO management and oversight, a.o.
VІ. Competition procedure
The selection procedure for Executive Director will be conducted by the Executive Board of the Centre.
The competition will be held in two rounds: review of application documents and an interview with the shortlisted applicants.
- Applicants who have failed to submit all requisite documents or have submitted documents that do not prove fulfilment of the eligibility requirements will be disqualified from further participation in the competition.
- Disqualified applicants will be notified in writing of the reasons for dropping out.
- Shortlisted candidates will be notified in writing of the time, date and place of the interview.
- The interview will be conducted in accordance with a schedule whereby the interviewees will be listed alphabetically.
- The score of each candidate at the second round of the competition will be the sum total of all individual grades given that candidate by each member of the evaluation panel after the interview.
VІІ. Documents to be submitted in support of the application
- motivational letter;
- curriculum vitae;
- copy of a diploma of higher education (master’s degree);
- copies of documents submitted in evidence of length of service, professional experience, specific experience, post-graduate and other training courses, etc.
All data submitted by candidates shall be held in strict confidentiality and used solely for purposes of the selection procedure.
The motivational letter must contain, as a minimum, a presentation of:
- The candidate’s general vision of the place of the Centre in both a national and an international context and the prospects for its development;
- Proposals for efficient management of the Centre, including for generating additional revenue;
- Measures for expanding the public awareness activity of the Centre, and others.
All documents must be submitted in Bulgarian and English.
VІІІ. Time limit and place for submission of applications
Applications and the supporting documents must be mailed within 14 days (evidenced by the postmark) from the date of publication of the announcement of the selection procedure to: 7 Lachezar Stanchev St., Sofia, and by electronic mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact phone numbers: 02/444 21 03; 02/444 37 40. Contact person: Diana Tokadjieva.